Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

What The Heck Have I Been Up To? (The Essential Background Info You NEED To Know!)

So for my first post, I figured I'd better give you (those long, lost friends out there) a quick run down of where I've been up to..... (The most efficient breakdown possible).

Lets go WAY back....After returning home from my LDS mission in Porto, Portugal (2002-2004), I finished my last year of undergrad studies at BYU. I graduated in 2005 in International Studies and then headed off for an amazing adventure in Mozambique, Africa, where I studied Portuguese poetry and worked in an HIV/AIDS clinic for youth, promoting awareness and prevention efforts.

Confirming my passion for the field of International Development, I decided to continue my education and apply to graduate programs in this field. I took the year off, lived at home, worked/played, and applied to several graduate programs. I ended up heading to Boston, MA. where I entered a Masters Program at Brandeis University in Sustainable International Development (my emphasis is in International Education and Youth Development).

I packed by bags, found some housing, and set off for my first East Coast adventure. (you can read more about it in my posts!) I completed my first year of grad work last year. It was a rip, roaring good time, filled with wonderful people, a fabulous program, and a lot of grueling studying! For our entire second year of study, every student must find an internship in their individual area of emphasis,while simultaneously writing a Master's Thesis. So, after many months of searching and sweating it, I found the perfect internship--part of the time spent in Washington DC and the rest in Haiti (I will be leaving in February).

So that brings us to this year. In September, I moved down from Boston to DC, found my own little place in the city, and began my internship at an international non-profit development organization. I am now working on a project in Haiti for reintegrating out-of-school youth back into society and into the labor market. On February 6th, I head off to the field. So get ready for some fun adventures......!!!! Stay tuned for all the juicy details!

No comments: