However, I have been equally amused by the way that God and religion have been so seamlessly blended with public transport and life in general. So let's put kidnappings, riots, and general political unrest aside for a second. This place is the virtual Woodstock of the western hemisphere. So here's a tribute to finding peace, one love, one life, and getting together. And yes, everything's gonna be alright.
This little gem of a bus has done what many vehicles here decide to do--sport painted Bible scripture. I believe here we have Mathew 6:33 which respectfully translates to: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." And no, I didn't know that off the top of my head.
I couldn't make out this one too well. I think it's in Creole and talking about Jesus (smart one, I know).
And here it is in English talking about Jesus.
I thought this one was saying "Delite" at first. Nope, it says "Fidelite" (Faithfullness).
Not only are these babies full of love, they are jam-packed full of people. It reminded me of riding the "shappas" in Mozambique--to some degree, but not nearly as bad.
I'm making out "souvenir de mon frere" (remember my brother).
"Dieu en Tout" (God in Everything).But lest you think that religion was only limited to transport, think again. Shops of all sorts were named after the Divine--including the "Eternal Father Lottery." Very appropriately named don't you think?
And then there's your "Extra Millennium Lottery" as well. How sweet.
My favorite: Why not name your struggling restaurant "God is Love?" (Dieu est Amour) It couldn't hurt right? (especially when the doorway is decked out with dangling, sparkle beads)
Some other common "writings on the wall" included: "God, are you there?" "Peace and love are all you need" "Eternity is Here" "Will and Courage=Success"......the list goes on my friends. A neat concept actually. I like it. We could all use a little more love in our lives. And when you're feeling down, it never hurts to have a friendly reminder, or two....plastered on everything around you in the immediate vicinity. It makes ya feel so good inside! I'm getting warm fuzzies just thinking of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment