Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Graduation, Boston, and so much more!

So I've been MIA from the blogger world for quite some time now. But don't you, for a second, think that it's because I don't love you. And please don't for a second think that it's because that I ran off to marry Jean-Francois in Haiti, or that I decided that going back to work for Williams-Sonoma REALLY was my life's dream after all. No, none of those are true. So what have I been up to these past few months might you ask? Plenty.

After finishing my internship in Haiti, I gathered myself together, flew to Boston to graduate, presented my Masters Paper, took a rip-roaring-good-times-road trip down to "The South" with my mom, and started a new consulting job for the summer. But let's not get ahead of ourselves gang. How 'bout we take a step back in time and relive the journey. So let's get going!

It all began on May 12th when I flew to Boston for Capstone week at "The Dice" (Brandeis Univ). It was surreal to return to Boston after being away for over a year. I crashed for the week at a "lovely" house on 50 Spruce Street in Waterown, MA (home of some random mormon girls whom we located online). The week got off to a great start....when I got in late that night, I was welcomed by a completely dark house with no one home to answer the door or let me in. So there I stood in the dark of night with my my luggage and all my loot. I then got the brilliant idea to try the doorknob anyways, and it was unlocked (some call this breaking and entering). So I waltzed in, announced my presence to the empty house, and found my room.

I was also welcomed by a bed that had been previously slept in, with visibly filthy sheets. So I ended up dragging in another mattress (from who knows where), and scrounging for a blanket. This would be the beginning of my beautiful, allergic reaction that would take hold of me for the rest of the week and beyond!!! (Unfortunately, the camera didn't pick up on the filth of the room... or the bed bugs lingering in my lovely floor-mattress).

SIDE NOTE: I find it interesting that I could travel to foreign countries, including developing ones with sub-standard living situations, and come out of it better than I did in Watertown, MA.

I was excited to get the much anticipated Capstone Week going, and even more excited to get my own presentation out of the way and then graduate! Unfortunately, they scheduled me to present my paper later in the week than I would have liked--on a Thursday morning.

So the festivities got a kick-start on Monday morning with a great opening speaker, a cool African dude named Dr. Calestous Juma, who is currently a prof. at Harvard. It was super fun be reunited with all of my classmates and catch up with where they've been and what they've been doing over the past year in their internships.

Here I am back in front of our new and improved "Heller School for Social Policy and Management." We recently got a brand new, state-of-the-art building. Too bad our class missed out on enjoying it this past year.

So as you can imagine, we had people spread out in nearly every corner of the globe, and doing nearly every genre of development work and research you could think of for their internships. From Mali and India to Brazil and Tibet (and everywhere in between).

So that first afternoon back at school was completed with a lovely wine and cheese mingling party. Sometimes the only thing you can do is grin and bear it at this sort of event. But at least I came into the week prepared to put on my "happy, social, party-girl face." And yes, I do have one. That evening, I found myself retracing very familiar foot-steps that I took two years back when I began my Brandeis adventure. Strolling through campus down to the the blessed Commuter Rail (the train), riding it back into Cambridge, hopping the Subway, and then walking home.

The rest of the week at Brandeis was spent listening to a variety of panel presentations from my classmates. Some were more engaging than others (I think that was a nice way of saying I'd rather be giving myself a root canal), but overall it was a very interesting week and I did learn a lot. Late on Wednesday night, mom came to town!!!! I washed the sheets on the nasty bed for her, and resumed the position on "my mattress" on the floor----not so bad actually. I even started to get used to the creepy-crawly critters living with me.

Thursday morning I delivered my presentation at school.

There were three other people on my panel that morning, and a pretty full classroom of listeners. The discussion was mediated by my academic adviser, Professor Hahn (cool dude staring at the coffee).
I was shaking in my boots during the preceding week.

But surprisingly enough, I delivered a pretty decent presentation. I was completely in my element and didn't really have to think too much.
Talking about out-of-school youth in Haiti gets me fired up.

It brings a sparkle to my face and a skip to my step. And then on to Q & A with the audience.

Judging by the looks of this picture, I can only imagine how excited the audience must have been. (side note: it's always such a nice reality check to view candid photos of yourself)
And the happy group, all done! From left to right: Prof. Hahn (my academic advisor), Yours Truly, Kyle, Ai, and Oahn.

After turning in the official, signed copy of my thesis, BAM. I was officially done. It was time to get the so-called party started.That night Mom and I attended the Heller Graduation Reception. It was a fun night--and we even got Mom out on the dance floor ( if only for a few minutes). I got my groove on as well--mostly just finding amusement in watching a bunch of ethnic bodies pulling out moves that, if haven't already been outlawed, should be. It really put the five or so of us white- folk to shame (seriously, our bodies just can't move like that).

On Saturday, we skipped out on the Graduate Student Reception ( I couldn't handle another party), and had fun killing some time and bombing around some old Boston haunts. Since neither my mom or I wanted to go back to the disgusting house on Spruce Street until we absolutely HAD to, we tried to stay out as late as we could. Out of desperation, we hit a movie that neither of us would have ever attended on our own ("Baby Mama"), which actually proved to be great entertainment. We also ate at one of our favorite Harvard Sq. favorites, "Henrietta's Table," to dine on fresh and organic breakfast foods! (go ahead and ask Mom where to find the best Belgian waffle in town)

Sunday was graduation day!! Yeah!! The Heller School had its own smaller ceremony first (8 am in the morning---that is just plain mean).

(can you spot me?)



I thoroughly enjoyed it all and loved hearing the remarks that were given from the guest speaker above (Dr. Helene Gayle, President and CEO of CARE, USA) as well as from select classmates. These events are usually dull to me, but I got a kick out of it this time around (probably because it will be my last!).
It was then on to the big, university graduation. I didn't expect much from this one, but I actually enjoyed it equally as much as the first ceremony. Listening to the remarks from some of the speakers reminded me of how liberal a school Brandeis is. Tactfully "bashing" President Bush, for example, isn't something you'd hear at BYU's graduation. So anyways, it was a great morning--it was fun to share it with some wonderful classmates and friends.



And there you have it. Done with two years of hard, but very rewarding work. Looking back, it's hard to believe that I actually did it and came out on top. 'Cause trust me, there were times when I had my doubts along the way!! But the amount of knowledge, awareness (self, and of the world around me), experience, connections, and friendships that I gained throughout, were worth it all and more.

Was it sad to then just leave? Yes and no. But Mostly no. I was more excited and happy to get out of Boston and move on with the fun....oh, and with life of course. So to commemorate the day, Mom and I went to our favorite little eating joint in Concord, MA---"The Colonial Inn. "
Lucky for us, it was the Sunday Brunch Buffet at the Inn ----and let me tell you this, we got our money's worth. When we heard the word "Buffet," it was like music to our ears. If there's one thing I do well, its the buffet. I've got it mastered. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, to the point of being uncomfortable (that's always the downside of it--but on graduation day, it's okay). We even made a comeback later that same night for our favorite regional delicacy--Indian Pudding. So, so good.
I felt right at home. Too caught up in the food, I didn't even bother to take off my attractive black cape. I do believe, you have to milk it while you can. (notice my carefully coordinated graduation outfit: T-shirt and work-out pants. I looked so smashing. Too bad no one could appreciate it, zipped up under the cape).
Monday morning we got packed up and hit and the road. We couldn't get out of that house fast enough. We arrived home in DC late that night, crashed, and re-cooped the following day---getting ready for PHASE TWO of the journey, to come shortly.


In front of the Washington DC Temple.
And how could we not stop to take in the "energy" of the National Mall?


And of course, Mr. Lincoln himself.

So there you have it. Phase one done. Are you ready for phase two? The celebration begins with the road trip to end all roadtrips!



















2 comments:

janae said...

Love the pictures, love the root canal comment, love that you are so close to me (by that I mean your being in DC and my being in Baltimore). Congrats on graduating!!

Nate and Tasha said...

Congrats on graduating! It was well deserved! Looks like you and no-no had a good time as usual :)