Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Monday, March 9, 2009

Do I Really Look Homeless? (a mini essay about life, looks, and public transit, all in one post!)

Today, I looked at myself in the mirror, comfortably dressed in my Cal Berkeley hoody and sweat pants, and was forced to ask myself some really hard questions.

Indeed, my mind wandered back to a most interesting and unusual encounter that I had while riding the bus this past December (and yes, many of my most thought-provoking experiences happen here).

Let's paint the picture:

I was on my way to the airport, luggage in hand, and struggling to get myself and all my loot onto the bus. And yes, I just happened to be dressed in the all-too-familiar Cal Berkeley hoody and sweat-pants ensemble. What can I say, I made that look famous, and we all have a similar version of it. However, in my opinion, I carried with me an air of confidence that seemed to whisper…I AM: 100% ‘au-natural;’ down-to-earth; casually trendy; ready to hit the gym and clock in a 6-minute mile; easily mistaken for a Nike or Adidas model, effortlessly working every angle while dressed in head-to-toe lycra. Yup, that was the look I had hoped to portray.

However, my visions of Nike super models were suddenly squashed as I took my seat. I felt my body being prodded by the stares of an older English woman who was giving me the “once-over” glance. You know the kind, where they try to size you up without you knowing it. Maybe I wasn’t showing enough leg or maybe my sweat pants were, in reality, a far cry from sexy, hip-hugging spandex. Whatever the case, this woman began chatting it up with her neighbor about the high rate of homelessness in the United States, referring to myself as the object lesson of the hour. (Yes, we’re still on the bus. And yes, everyone can hear the conversation). I didn’t really make the connection that I was being dissed by this woman until her neighbor spoke out in my defense, explaining that I was a student traveling home for the holidays and not a bum. However, the English woman was not easily convinced. And I was too amused by the whole thing to fight her. So I remained homeless for the time being.

The woman then proceeded to explain to me, quite matter-of-factly, that outside of the United States in developing regions like Africa, homelessness isn’t an issue. She suggested that we (meaning people like me) should move to Africa (Zambia being her recommendation) in order to have a more prosperous life. Yes lady, we absolutely SHOULD move to Africa--let us first cast aside the part about extreme poverty and the fact that many people’s homes are tin shacks or mud huts. (*disclaimer--see comment f). But again, I was simply too amused by the woman to take her seriously, so I nodded my head and started talking about the beauty of Zambia. You see, I’ve learned a thing or two about riding the bus with slightly whacked-out passengers; it’s best to just roll with it.

Let's ask the introspective questions:

All fun and games aside, let’s not forget what sparked this intense bus-debate in the first place. Oh yes, my outfit and appearance. Granted, I was getting ready to travel across the United States and was understandably placing comfort over style. But I can’t help but wonder, did I really look homeless? And should I care?

Let's take it a step further--do looks and fashion really matter all that much?

My thoughts:

a) Even if I did look homeless, I think I’m down with that. In all reality, it fits my personality a little better than the alternative. My heart goes out to those who get glanced over and written off every day. They are my heroes, so I'll consider it a privilege.
b) There’s a time and a place for dressing down and for dressing up. In fact, I pride myself on being able to comfortably do both... in public. But either way, what you wear isn't nearly as important as HOW you wear it. (For the most part. And I still do have a soft spot for people who are stylin' ). Strike a balance, take care of yourself (because you're worth it), work what your mama gave you, and be okay with it. But at the end of the day, there ain't nothing better than being comfortable in your own skin.

c) The next time you’re riding the bus and are tempted to judge someone else by their appearance alone, remember Sarah. And think twice.

Other related take-home thoughts:

d) Don’t take anyone on the bus too seriously.
e) I appreciate innocent by-standers who stick up for people like me while riding public transport. Thanks neighbor-lady for pleading my case as a traveling student and not a bum.
f) I actually wouldn’t mind moving to Africa. The continent is bursting with an over-looked beauty that just can't be matched. I’m just not going to move there to relieve myself of homelessness.

and g) My love of public transport just shot up tenfold.

When the English lady finally understood that I had a home in California, of which I was heading to, she got uber excited, gave me her business card, and asked me to send her a post card with Arnold Schwarzennger on it. Now that my friends, is the beauty of public transit.

Let's ride in style!!





13 comments:

Shelli said...

HA! I am so laughing. What a great perspective, I love it. Did you send her a postcard?

janae said...

NUH-UH. That cannot have really happened! Please tell me that people do not do things like that!! I can't believe she would have an out-loud conversation about you to someone else. And then tell you that homelessness isn't a problem in Africa. What on earth was she thinking??? Plus, if you are homeless, how on earth are you supposed to afford a plane ticket to Africa?? You really do have the best stories ever. You should write down our adventures in Senhora da Hora because I'm so sure that you'd capture them so much better than I would!!

K said...

I would have luuuuurved to meet that silly woman! I can't believe she thought you were homeless and should move to Africa. Hehe.

I also much so agree with one of your take home messages - that the most important thing is to be comfortable in your own skin. That's something that I desperately need to work on and your post reminded me of that (in a good way).

About dressing and what one wears - I just read a friend's blog and she talked about dressing according to the way we want to feel, not the way we actually feel. When I'm depressed, I usually wear sweats and dingy teeshirts. According to my friend, I should dress nicely when I'm depressed. Just food for thought.

K said...

PS - I also want to know if you sent her a postcard with Arnold on it...

Susie said...

Sarah, lets be bums together this weekend! You, me, metro...why not. I'm ready to be dissed by your side. Bring it.

Patricia said...

Hey, I've always wanted to take Jonny to Telegraph Ave. to beg and see how much he could make in an hour - that little face in a wheelchair with "Hey, Misto, can you help me pease. pease?"

Forget Jonny - let's see what you can pull in!

Jed and Marie said...

Dude, you don't live in Provo anymore so you don't have to call your sweatshirt a "hoody." Alright, I've gots to get back to tending, talk to you soon!

Uncle Jesse

A and M said...

Girlfriend, I just love that story! People are so funny/crazy. Remember when we use to go running in the summer and your mom would drop you off and wait in the car while we ran? And there was that one time one of the neighbors called the police because apparently your mom looked suspicious/quite possibly homeless. Please tell me you remember that one!

Trev said...

there is no way you could have been mistaken for homeless... you didn't have a paper bag with booze in it,and you probably didn't smell like 500 musty rotten sneakers with the feet still inside! But hey, it's a great laugh! I get mistaken for Brad Pitt all the time. I know how you felt! ;)

janae said...

Hey! Okay, so time is flying faster than I can I believe. We paid for a zoo membership and have never made it back. Oops! So I'm worried that I'm not going to see you before we move (which will be May 21st). So what say you to a picnic lunch at Arlington Cemetery on May 16th? Will you still be around then? If not, we can probably move it up. Just let me know!

Sarah Johnson said...

JANAE!!! OH my goodness, YES! Of course I will be there May 16th for picnic lunch. It is going in my planner RIGHT NOW. I am already so excited to see yall. We shall be in touch then to coordinate the details....okay??

A and M said...

I just keep staring at that 'confirmation of my facebook acount' email...

Nate and Tasha said...

LOL! I hear ya! Nate hates it when I go out in public in what he refers to my "poo suit" aka brown velour suit. But you know what - somedays I just want to be comfy and I am not out to impress anyone. Some people just don't understand. I am still baffled by the rudeness of this lady. Seriously, has sh really seen a true homeless person?!