Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Monday, October 19, 2009

I Let My Freezer Go To Pot (Part 2 of Sarah's Introspective Series)

Oh yes I did. And I'm even going to write about it! Yes folks. This wild, explosive, out-of-control, festival on ice is my freezer. And you may be asking yourself a few questions:

A) What the heck is buried beneath the heaps of ice and how did you even shut the freezer/fridge door? It's practicaly throwing up ice chunks and bursting at the seams.

and B) For crying out loud Sarah, why did you let your freezer go to pot? How in the world could you let it get so out of hand?

After copious amounts of tedious labor, invovling large sheets of ice and plenty of scraping, pounding, slicing,
empyting, cleaning, dripping,

and painstakingly draining dirty water by hand with a turkey baster (perhaps my favorite part of the day),
the freezer was brought back to life, and I saw it's true shape for the first time in months.

So why on earth am I writing about my freezer? Well, despite the idiocracy of the whole event, I couldn't help but stand back and look at the broader lesson I had learned. (I seem to be doing a lot of that lately)... bear with me.

Sometimes we ignore the seemingly small, but important things in our lives--putting them off or avoiding them all together--until we wake up one day and realize that the thing which we have been avoiding, has resurfaced in full force to bite us in the back and present an array of additional problems that we hadn't anticipated.

And sometimes this process happens ever-so-slowly over time, like the ice in the blasted freezer, so that it becomes increasingly easier for us to become blindsighted and thrown off course. We slip into the trap of complacency and might even discover that the chains that bind our hands, are actually quite comfortable. I liken it to putting off a term paper until the day before it is due.... we let it slide for one day, and then another, and finally one more. In the end, we suffer, sweat, and waste so much energy fixing the problem. So why didn't we just tend to business in the first place and save ourselves the pain? (I write this for my own sake more than anything).

Folks, don't let your freezer go to pot. When you see a problem, why not try and fix it today? If there's something about yourself you want to change, why not work on changing it today? If you're slacking on the important things in your life, and focusing on the "fluff," why not reevaluate your priorities today? Whatever it is, why not tend to business today...we make things happen by doing them. And if we don't do them, then we slip further and further away from our goals and in some cases, we find ourselves trapped and surrounded by a prison that we have put up around our own selves. (Deep, I know)!!

So yes, I did just write an entire post about my freezer. But I think I'm a better person for it.

Cheers!


























































































7 comments:

Adam said...

This is a brilliant post Sarah! As much as I like deep thoughts, I find that simple things like this have inspired me more than mulling over God's mysteries.

By the way, what was buried under all that ice. It looked green!

janae said...

You know what the problem was here? That freezers grow! If they didn't, no one would have problems like this! :)

Okay, but honestly, it was a great post. And the picture made it.

Taci Merkley said...

Ha ha! Wow! That was an inspiring and hilarious post! Thanks for the reminder of how to keep life simple and more enjoyable! :)

Susie said...

I love how you just turned so analytical! I love the post and real life application. You know that I am always about the application. Please don't let your life go to pot. Better yet, please don't do pot.

Julie said...

Sarah, glad you shared your thoughts, and I'm glad you cleaned your freezer out! Just in time for all of those ice cream sandwiches.

Saciperere79 said...

:))
That happen to me to. but my freezer was from 1963, and it died on 2007

And after all is unfrozen we discorver things that was lost

A and M said...

Seriously girlfriend is that really your freezer?! Such amazing wisdom to be found from an ice filled freezer! And I really can't get over the picture of the ice eating your food!