Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Remember that one time Anne came to town?

Oh, but it doesn't end there!!! When my friend, Anne, came to visit DC last year, I knew I was in for a treat. My experience as a class-A tourist got revved up to the next level.

Anne and I met in Russia while teaching English, and our bond was virtually instantaneous. Indeed, nothing brings two people closer together than living amongst the Russians... and buying underwear from Russian street-vendors, of course.

We hit the ground running, visiting:

The U.S Holocaust Memorial Museum (I highly recommend it--probably my favorite museum in the District);
The U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis,
where I just had to stop this fine looking group of officers to pose with me;
The colorful bounty of DC's farmer's markets;
The Tidal Basin lit up at night;
Georgetown University, to sit in the ivy-league halls and breathe in the fresh, ivy-league air;
The Library of Congress, where we got library cards as souvenirs (FYI, you're really not supposed to do this, but I am now officially able to enter the premises and have all my research needs met, should I ever feel the urge);
(we actually couldn't find the main entrance. This door was obviously not it)
Old Towne Alexandria, to admire the wig shop of course and
jump aboard this historical boat;
Eastern Market on a Saturday morning to eat "The Best Blueberry Pancakes in DC." The lines were completely insane, but it was all worth it just to get a taste of this quintessential DC "experience;"(okay, so there's no good explanation for this picture, except for the fact that we had just come from the International Spy Museum. At least the dude in the background seemed amused)
and, of course, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (AKA, the Money Museum), where we watched all the money that we will never have, being created.

Yes, we did it all. And we still had time leftover to pay our respects to George W.

So from the heart of the Nation's Capital, this is Sarah J signing off, and keeping a safe distance from anything remotely educational or instructional.
















1 comment:

janae said...

Dude. I am so proud to say that I have been to nearly every single one of those places! Woohoo!!