I have woken up, almost each morning, grateful for the warmth. For the long days that carry on into the night. For balmy evenings, cold drinks, and Mc Donald's Oreo McFlurry's. For the general easiness and laziness that I feel. A calm cool amidst the heat. A palpable, childlike sensation in the air.
So in between "tending to business" (job applications and interviews, etc etc), I've had a blast just letting my hair down. But let's be honest, most of the time, it's down anyways.
I've enjoyed an array of activities such as: intense movie-going, delving into good literature (yes, I do read...sometimes), eating good food and plenty of junk food (it's okay when you're on vacation. It's summer vacation), preserving my television heritage, jamming on the guitar & composing a few original masterpieces, and of course spending time with my favorite DC peeps. I'm lucky to feel so at home in this place and to have insanely wonderful people to share it with. No joke.
Just a few highlights, captured with the camera:
Meeting up with my previous school mates, from the Heller School at Brandeis. Whether it be for a potluck soiree, or an evening of belly-dancing with the lady folk, it is always a pleasure to catch up with these great people.


And more recently, I reverted back to an old child-time favorite... the Amusement Park. Namely, Six Flags.
It was here that I remembered that I'm not the rambuncious youngin' that I used to be. A solid four hours of G-forces, head banging, neck jerking, and mechanical bulls was enough for me.
And it's always fun to grab greasy food, sugary drink, and of course a funnel cake to wash it all down with. I'm going to go ahead and admit that I have new favorite past time... "Rock Band." No, I haven't joined a real rock band (although I'm definitely not opposed to that idea). But I am sold on the video-game version.
Oh, but it's so much more than a video game. It's a virtual experience.
Here I am practicing on my virtual guitar and getting ready to jam with the other band members.
If you have the means to do so, I highly recommend you pick up one of these systems. It is most nourishing for the mind and the soul.
And finally, I've thoroughly enjoyed spending warm nights underneath the stars watching outdoor movies on large lawns. These free events, known as "Screen on the Green," are a DC summer tradition. Whether sprawled out on the grass in front of the U.S. Capital Building on the National Mall, or at another venue (pictured below), this is a great way to pass the time with good friends.





2 comments:
Oooh, look at me being cool and making your blog. I'm feeling pretty awesome right now!
You play the guitar?? I learned to play a few chords way back when and was just talking to my sister about buying another one. Interested in giving lessons??
Post a Comment