Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hey, So What's the Scoop?




Dear Faithful Readers,

I want to give you an update into my life, being as I haven't blogged in several months. It's a shame really, but I've honestly felt at a loss in terms of where to begin. I've had so many thoughts and experiences I've wanted to share, but after waiting for so long, it becomes overwhelming to try and capture everything. And so what do I do? I don't write at all. And the "blogger guilt" sets in. But I'm determined to eliminate the guilt and catch you guys up, little by little. So here's the scoop:

I had the privilege to return to Haiti this past March to volunteer in orphanages in Port-au-Prince. The experience was amazing to me, and hard to describe in words. I was touched and humbled on so many levels as I stepped back to a place that I loved. The restless feelings of the previous weeks were calmed, and I relished every day I got to help and love the kids I came in contact with. And although the landscape was noteably different since the earthquake, the place and the people stilled filled me, as if I had never left at all.

At the end of the trip, I was invited to come back and work for the summer with Rebecca, who is in charge of the organization I volunteered with, The Foundation for Children in Need. After some twists and turns over the next two months, including another failed job opportunity in DC, it was clear that God had opened this door for me to come back and work in Haiti... Once the answer was sure, my plane ticket was booked and I left one week later...

So here I am, sitting in the stifling, summer heat. I've been here in Port-au-Prince since May, helping to run the Foundation's mission trips for volunteers that come for one week increments to help out in orphanages. And although the summer hasn't been without its hard moments and struggles, I am truly tickled pink that I've had this opportunity to work in a place that has called me back again and again. It will be very difficult to leave my "Haitian family" in a few short weeks to go back to DC. It will be very difficult to leave this country, this city, this people, and these kids that I love so much. But I will be ready to decompress. And I will be ready to welcome yet another chapter into my life.
Stay tuned.
Your ever-devoted,
Sarah J






















7 comments:

Kelli Burton said...

oh SJ. it's so good to get a little update from you.

you are missed and DC is ready to have you back!

safe travels home.

Susie said...

Girl. You and those Haitians look good together. I am glad that you've had such a great experience, but I am also glad that you are coming back soon. You better give me a ring when you return S-dog then let the ice cream fest begin!

janae said...

I LOVE your blog. I love, love, love you blog. You are amazing!

A and M said...

Nice to hear from you! I love all the pics of you and the kiddos. It looks like it has been a very fulfilling summer my friend. I wish you luck in adjusting back to state life! I am sure you are gonna be busy catching up. So just give me a call so we can start our catch up via voice mail fest!

TheKunks said...

You are amazing!!!

K said...

I would have to agree with the previous commenters and say that I truly love your blog and I think you are utterly amazing too! You are an inspiration to me. I'm so glad that you've been able to go back to Haiti a few times since I left DC. I'm still out in LA. After months of a blogging-break, I'm gearing up again so stayed tuned. :) Keep me updated - everything you have to say is interesting!

hapi said...

Hi Sarah Johnson, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!