Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Trust Your Gut--some random thoughts on food...and life.

So I've been sick for three days now. You know, the lovely stomach kind. Now this comes as quite a surprise to me. You see, I've got a stomach of steel. I'm the type that laughs in the face of those who acquire traveller's diarrhea.

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything right? When the dizzy spells and profuse indoor sweating set in, I knew my time had come. So the only thing worse than having the "bug," is stewing about how one got it in the first place. After stewing some, I've come up with a take home lesson. Trust you gut. If your gut feeling tells you to stay away from something, by golly, stay away. This applies to life, and to food. Your gut will quite literally thank you.

So I was in the grocery store the other day and noticed something peculiar. The fruits and vegetables were nicely stocked in the refrigerated section, while the yogurt was on the regular shelves, along with the crackers and cereal. Red flag people.
Craving the yogurt, I convinced myself that they must have just brought it out fresh this morning, from the large refrigerator in the back. In my greediness, I stocked my cart and feasted on the warm, creamy delights (after all, everyone else was doing it). Now I'm not blaming the yogurt for my sickness, but it sure couldn't have helped. Life lesson here? You bet.

Or maybe it could have been the fish.......fresh from the Haitian marketplace. We caught our housekeeper cooking it bare, on top of the open gas flame of the stove top (no grill or pan in place). Isn't that supposed to be bad for your health?


But when life gives you fish......you can always make casserole with it (that's what I do best).


Believe it or not, this was actually quite a tasty little mouthful. Fish, and a little creativity can go a long way (as can anything). Although I'm not sure my stomach was so appreciative of my creative culinary expression....

So, I have learned to not underestimate the power of the can (sincerely, there was no pun intended here). Remember, fresh isn't always best (especially in developing countries). Although canned goods, like some paths in life, aren't as exciting, sexy, appealing, or nutritionally beneficial as fresh, they're functional, cheap, and safe. I find safety in canned goods. And these days, that's good enough for me.
Now don't get me wrong, I haven't lost my sense of adventure with food, I've just learned that I'm not as invincible as I once thought. Moderation is the key, in food and in life.

But stewed tomatoes never looked so good...





1 comment:

Laura said...

warm yogurt Sarah, seriously? You ate yogurt that had been sitting out on the shelves?