Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Take the Tour--Youth Centers in Port-au-Prince!

Last week, I had the opportunity to visit some of our project's youth centers in the greater Port-au-Prince zone, as a part of some communications work I'm doing for IDEJEN. What is IDEJEN might you ask? It's a French accronym for the "Haitian Out-of-School Youth Livelihood Initiative." I jumped on this unique opportunity to see some things "up close and personal," like I knew I would not be able to do on my own....

Quick side note: Creole is so much more efficient than French. Take the above as a case in point. If it were in French, you'd read: "Initiative pour le Developpment des Jeunes en Dehors du Milieu Scolaire." In other words, use as many words as possible to describe something fairly simple by nature.

Anyways, for those of you interested in a little background to the project, here is the scoop: The youth in our program are some of the most disadvantaged you will find anywhere. They are out-of-school young people (ages 15-24) who have had either minimal or no previous education--many experiencing extreme poverty and the lingering effects of political unrest. There are thousands and thousands of them in the country, and the numbers are ever-rising. The IDEJEN project provides them with free access to basic education (basic literacy, numeracy, and life-skills) on top of technical and vocational training (a certain trade) that they can use to find jobs. They are then accompanied for 6 months after graduation with job counseling, mentorship, linkages to internships, and help with small-business development.

(The problem is that the economy is so bad in Haiti, that there are no jobs available in the formal/private sector. Even folks with university degrees have no work. That only leaves the informal sector open our youth, and the possibility of entrepreneurship/creating their own small businesses. IDEJEN is now trying to tailor its trainings to meet the current/ changing demands of the labor market and get these kids into viable jobs.) Sorry for that--I'm done, promise.

So along with me on my journey, were these dashing young men. They are IDEJEN field agents who work directly with the youth. On the right, you have Chandlier, who has officially become one of the coolest people I know. The picture doesn't do it justice, but doesn't he remind you a Rambo action figure of some sort?
The day started off at this center, where we were locating a few of IDEJEN's youth "success stories" (which I'm documenting). "HPCD" stands for Haitian Parnters for Christian Development. They are a local partner organization to IDEJEN.

These guys have graduated the program and become proficient in the sewing industry. They now work full time earning money for the youth centers, and training other youth. The only thing better than one guy that sews...
is two of them. Above, Jean-Erwin demonstrates that "manly men" really do sew. On the production belt today-these handy IDEJEN bags.
I actually really wanted to snag one (i've got a thing for bags and backpacks....second in line to shoes). I even offered to pay, but they were reserved strictly for the youth. I then tried to pull the youth card myself, but had to be reminded that IDEJEN classifies youth as 15-24 years old. Knocked out by a few. In order to fuel up for the rest of the day, we stopped to grab some authentic grub. Here we are in the neighborhood of "Carrefour-Feuilles" or in Creole, "k-fou-fey." (much more fun to say).

I am constantly drawn in by the use of color everywhere. Why not paint your door like a rainbow collidescope?


We then made it to our next youth center to document some more great successes. These kids truly were an inspiration....

You could spot 'em a mile away in their bright orange shirts.....


These guys were learning auto-mechanics as their trade. It was actually quite impressive.

So of course, I had to jump in the picture.
If you keep your eyes peeled, you can spot some wonderful things and people that sometimes slip under the radar.


Stepping inside the center....

I finally found some girls! Haiti produces some of the most amazing artists--these girls were training to become such---and use their skills to earn a living for themselves and their families.
But by far, my favorite were the "house guys."



Demonstrating skillful craftsmenship and a steady hand, Bariffe is now a formal employee for the youth center and makes these clay houses under a contract with the University of Florida.
Again, I wanted to snag one, but would have had to double Florida's prices.
We then headed onto another center about a half-hour drive away, through some pretty interesting terrain...




Two unrelated observations: 1. Sea-foam colored buildings are way up there on my list.
2. The lotto industry comprises up to 50% of the local economy in some areas.
Outside the main doors of the youth center below, you'll already find these young entrepreneurs hard at work, displaying some of their crafts for sale.
I think they must have loved me.....I couldn't pass up the key chains, the smashing Haiti-logo bracelets, or the sandals. It was, after all, for a good cause.

At this center, you could find youngsters learning a variety of trades like painting,

tiling, and plumbing/electricity (picture erased).

The girls were my favs though.


So back in DC before I left, my boss gave me a bag of red, beaded AIDS-awareness pins that had been hand-made by some of our youth in Haiti. I was given strict orders to "take them to church and sell them all " before I left. So I guess that didn't happen. When I unexpectedly came face to face with the exact youth who made them,the guilt started to sink in. So I'll put out this plug now. I've got about a hundred of em in my apartment in DC. If you want one for a $1.50, it's yours!

I caught our driver chillin' with the locals.

So the original girl we had hoped to find and photograph at that center, did not show up that day. I was then taken for a wild-goose chase, into some very "authentic" areas to find this girl at her house.


Past some very colorful characters...
I was then told to put my camera away. and keep a low profile.....so I did (after these next two shots).



After winding our way up the steep alleys, past colorful folk and endless manifestations of urban poverty, we came to Manouchekka's house. Her dad was very welcoming, and proudly invited us into his home, that could barely fit our group of 6. I appreciate seeing people who have nothing, but take pride in what they do have. He earned a living for his family sewing clothes on this machine.


We did meet up with the Manouchekka, and her brother....who took a few of us upstairs on the roof to have a look at the view.



And boy was it a sight.






My tour guides...(and apparent Nets fans)
In the distance (below) is some of the downtown area of Port-au-Prince. Unlike other destinations, in Haiti, ocean-front property is not something to aspire to. The most impoverished and infamous slums in the country are actually located right on the ocean. I was able to visit a youth center in one such area, but was unable to shoot any pictures (If I get ahold of the professional photographer's shots-let's hope he's in a good mood-I'll post 'em next time). But the youth here were such an example of resilience and opptimism in the face of extreme odds.
Sweaty, sunburned, and far too overdressed for the unanticipated treck, I seemed to be attracting some unexpected attention on the roof. So I scooted on out of there. I gather they don't get too many vistors like me up here.
This was the entrance of the last center we visited that day...but the dead camera, once again, did not help.
The kids you meet here, are by far one of my favorite things about this country. You can see a whole word unravel in their eyes. And they take you as you are, nothing more....nothing less.

So, it was a pretty amazing day. Working from the office in DC tells you one side of the story, but being on the ground and seeing how the story actually plays out, is something completely different. Something very refreshing, inspiring, and quite welcomed.....

Thanks for coming along!




































3 comments:

Jan said...

Sarah, you are so lucky! What an adventure. I'm glad you have a blog so I can come along. . . from my swirling chair in Texas.

janae said...

First, WOW. What a neat idea for a trade school. That is awesome. You seriously look like you are having the time of your life! Second, I nearly laughed out loud when I saw that the first person to comment on this post was named 'Jan'. Oh, the memories ...

janae

Shelli said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures. It's amazing all the things you are seeing and doing. Way to go!