Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Trip home to California

Going home to the motherland, where the air is as thick with "self-discovery" and compost as it is fog in the early morning and evening, is such a joy. I derive enormous pleasure from the simple things, like being welcomed by everything organic, local, and pesticide-free. I am greeted by an air of "no questions asked-" where I can let my guard down, speak freely about my chakkras and meridians, and where I don't feel judged for going for my weekly hypnotherapy appointment. Where the beach is not just the beach, but a "way of life," and where Berkeley's protesting "Tree-Sitters" awaken my own internal desire for authenticity and remind me of the power of the individual.

But the list doesn't end there my friends. Going home grants me an array of other desirable opportunities such as the coveted "free pass" I get to be as lazy, unproductive (which I will argue is actually very productive in and of itself), and as carefree as I wish. And believe you me, setting aside times in your life for these activities (even if only for a day or two) can be as critical for one's health as all the organic produce and fish oil supplements that one can ingest.

This time around, some of the highlights (in no particular order) included:

Being whisked away on Labor Day morning to Pacifica (home of the famous "Taco Bell Beach") with Jed, Marie, and my nephew Stephen-Asher (SA).

What the Taco Bell Beach lacks in terms of aesthetics and climate (you might just have to keep your jacket on), is made up for with one , crunchy bite of that authentic, south-of-the-border cuisine. Surfers need not pack a lunch for the day or even change out of their wetsuits in order to partake of this beach-side treat.
Jed always fits in nicely with the local scene, and he was generous enough to provide for our hungry group of beach-sitters,
who were casually spread out on a blanket in the sand, enjoying numerous invasions of cold tide-water.
We were even visited by this fellow below, who seemed as comfortable strolling along on the sandy shore, as the surfers who were riding the waves in the ocean.

For a mere $500 bucks, you too could join the ranks of California surfers and beach-bums alike, adding this essential west-coast staple to your collection. Being at home also allowed me to play more with my pal SA.

We had a fun day taking a tour of Piedmont, visiting two parks, and getting treats at "the candy store." SA loved playing in the water spigot, filling his bucket up, and standing in the muddy puddles with his shoes on.



And how could I forget going to see the Sea Lions at Pier 39 in SF with Marie and SA?

Belly stacked upon belly, and arms flung out to the side in pure relaxation, these uninhibited characters were feeling no pain... and had a strangely human-like quality to them. Here's a lovely shot of the group. SA's had enough cameras for the day, and I'm trying to show the German tourist just how to push the big button on my camera.

And honestly, a trip home just wouldn't be complete without some good quality shopping. You know, for the bare essentials like shoes. I do not have enough shoes.
No matter how hard I try, I can never quite get there. Which is why it's great to have some help once in a while. My mom feels no pain in the shoe department. Any one for that matter.

And then there were my coastal excursions with the folks. Winding your way along the CA coast is sure a treat for the senses. Everyone has something that makes them happy: Mom gets a treat (such as fudge or a pint of Ben and Jerry's to go), Dad gets to burn up asphalt and test how well the car can corner on the notoriously windy roads (I bet it's even funner in the Vette, when I'm not around!), and I get the pleasure of being carted around like the princess I am in the back seat.
We couldn't have asked for nicer weather
or more picturesque views.

Other highlights of being home included:
*Getting my first ATV lesson with Dad at The Ranch. Although I definitely wouldn't call myself a natural, I did derive a strange pleasure from manning a machine that would let me whizz up and down dirt hills and rocks with blatant ease. Maybe some day I'll make it to the top of "dad's hill" for nightly meditation at sunset.
*BBQs at Nonie and Boyd's for all the red meat, chips, and soda you could ever want.
*And how could I forget my sleep-overs at Aunt Pat's house? It's nice to know you are never too old for sleep overs.
*And finally, the several trips I made through the strange and quirky environs that I call home.
Yes, trees are the lungs of the earth,
the earth in front of the Cal Stadium IS sacred burial ground,
UC Berkeley are the "real terrorists" (not sure about that one),
camping on the sidewalk is an out-of body experience,
and, with a little creativity and adhesive, even cars can be vehicles for free speech.
Ahhhh...... could I ask for more? Honestly! My inner spirit is feeling enlightened and renewed just thinking about it. Thanks fam, I'm looking forward to December already!!!









































































8 comments:

janae said...

You are so funny!! I love the pics - especially because I have never seen your dad, bro, or sisnlaw before! If I get lucky we just might end up settling in northern cali! :)

ps. we're going to the dc zoo next Mon or Tues if you want to come. Are you still around dc?

Jancisco said...

That looks like a totally righteous experience. I agree with Janae--I was glad to see pictures of Uncle Jeddy and your dad.

Sharalea said...

You're fabulous. You have such a great writing style--all of your own! You should write a book! I'd buy it!!! :)
Love the beach pics, the smiling you pics, the northern Cali radical pics...ahhh fun time w/family!

Saciperere79 said...

Hello Sarah!
Nice pics, having funn with the family. Give my love to Anita, i miss her very mutch

Love Lucia

A and M said...

I love it when you update your blog...even though this time I'm just a little bit bitter I didn't get to see you. So Taco Bell is good, but remember those Taco Bell Supreme flavored Doritos?

Shelli said...

It's always good to be home. Love your descriptions and wit!

Marie HMJ said...

Sarah, I love this recap of the trip! Our only wish was that the whole thing could have been longer, or that we could replay it again and again. Im sad I lost all the pier 39 pics. I think some were pretty good. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to do it again!!

D.Wing said...

I just love your blog!!! You have a talent of writting. I wish I could do that.

So, when are you coming to visit me?