Life's a journey, so hop along for the ride! I've got a ton of interesting and not-so-interesting things to share with you, from the world as I see it. So keep your face pressed to the glass and hang on to the seat of your pants!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

“The Grown Up Me”

(me and my parrot, Ruby, in the fourth grade)

When I was last home in California, I had the chance to rummage through some old boxes filled with memories from my childhood…including old writing samples, report cards, and artwork.

I was entertained, to say the least, and was also reminded of what a “unique” child I was.. and still am. One of my favorite writing passages, besides the bizarre murder mystery I wrote in the fourth grade, was an excerpt entitled “The Grown-Up Me.” Also written in the fourth grade:

“When I grow up, I will have four children. I will probably be a Vet. I will make $16,000 per month. I will be 6 feet tall. I will go to C.A.L College. (I think I meant UC Berkeley). I will graduate in four years. I will live in Salt Lake City. I will have a convertible and another car. I will have an Eclectus parrot and an African Grey (these are both large birds, fyi). I will have the color hair that I have now, brown-blond. My hobbies will be reading and gardening. My mom and dad will live in Piedmont in the same house. I will have 2 girls and 2 boys (I guess I’m referring to my children, not birds). I will go many places…”

It’s funny how we picture our lives when we are children. Things just seemed so much simpler then. Cut and dry, if you will. The picture of my "grown up-ness" was very basic, and I was fine with that.

Our visions, hopes, and dreams often change as we grow up. Sometimes we give up on them altogether because they are not practical. And other times, we only begin to discover our truest dreams and aspirations, as we wind our way through the journey of life. Life teaches us, all along the way, about what really makes us tick. About what lights our so-called fires. And through a variety of trials and experiences, we unravel bits and pieces of our truest identities. We are all on a journey of discovery. We are ever-evolving…. and this is a wonderful thing.

So how does the "Grown-Up-Me" measure up today? Well, let's see...

I'm sans child.

I’m allergic to most animals with hair or fur. Sad and ironic.

I'm unemployed and haven't seen that kind of money...well...ever.

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall, but do continue to grow.

I did attend "C.A.L College" or Cal Berkeley for one summer, but that hardly counts.

I took me six years to graduate, but the mish and other foreign adventures contributed to that.

I live in DC.

I ride the bus and metro, no car.

I am petless.

My hair is very much the same, minus the fatty bangs.

I'm no gardener and am oftentimes too ADD to read anything. Books are not my strong point!

My mom and dad still do live in Piedmont in the same house. What a jewel.

And yes, I have gone many places…and intend to go many more.

Hmmm. Three out of ten. Not bad. Not bad at all…

4 comments:

Sharalea said...

I LOVE THE GROWN UP SARAH J!
I also chuckle to read your younger selves visions...they remind me of my own little writings...so fun to read!

janae said...

DUDE that is AWESOME! I made a list of things I want to be when I grow up in about 5th or 6th grade. It included winning an Olympic gold (ironic since I do not and have never been involved in any sports!) and being the first female president of the the United States. Yeah, that didn't happen!

Shelli said...

Nope, not bad at all!

A and M said...

Not too shabby my friend. And I'm loving that pic with Ruby. Oh how I miss her.