(my fave statue, Port-au-Prince)
This time two years ago, I was comfortably settled into my temporary home in Haiti working with the Haitian-Out-of-School-Youth-Livelihood Initiative. Cliche as it may sound, the months that I spent there truly were were life-changing. You could say that I had found my home away from home, without remotely expecting to... the country, the people, the culture, the colors, the beauty, the legacy, the heaven amidst the hell, the perseverance and joy amidst the suffering and poverty....all captured me in a way that I could not have anticipated. You could also say that it seeped its way inside of me, and has nestled in for good. I always knew that I would go back, I just wasn't sure when that would be.
("Yon Blan"=The White One)
When the earthquake happened last month, I could not have anticipated how much emotion would be stirred up inside of me. Or how restless I would feel. I knew I needed to go back and help. It wasn't a matter of if, it was just a matter of when and how.
(Jacmel sunset)
So I'm off to Port-au-Prince tomorrow, and will be working with orphans. The trip will be short, but intense. And though I'm not entirely sure of what to expect, I know that it will be a privilege to simply be back, and help and love these kids in any small way that I can.
(playing with "the natives, " Jacmel)
And then, I'm sure I'll be back again... and again... and again. Who knows when, how, or in what capacity. But there is sure plenty to do, and these things always have a way or working themselves out, now don't they?
(the art of the cocounut)
(still very 'blan')
(Carrefour-Feuilles neighborhood of Port-au-Prince)
(and the blessed view from my roof in Petion-Ville)
So peace out for now.... (and yes, there will be sharing time when I get back).
9 comments:
I have wondered if you would be heading back to your "homeland" in Haiti.
As we--the world-- ache for the people, pray for them, and worry for them...I can only imagine to have friends there & a real connection with the place how restless that must feel.
I'm SO GLAD you've got the opportunity to go & help. You'll do a world of good--cuz that's how you roll.
Good luck, safe travels, I am excited for sharing time!!
Dude, there better be sharing time. I want some deets on your trip. But seriously, be safe. I am so proud of you. tear.
Oh Sarah, I'm soooooooooooooooooo happy for you - I know you have been trying to get back to Haiti for a while. My thoughts and prayers are with you and you better give us the scoop when you get back!!! XOXOXO
I've been wondering how you handled the news. And wondering when you'd go back. I was just sure you'd be going. I can't wait to hear about how it went. Good luck. I sure luv ya!
Girlfriend good luck! So glad you're getting a chance to go back. Can't wait to hear how it all went when you get back.
How fabulous is your life! So many adventures. As for the game, the only one I remember is when he would sing for a while and then shout a number and people had to get in groups with that many people in the group. I don't remember the details of the other one you are talking about. Have fun!
Can't wait to read your coming blog on your experience during February/March in Haiti.
nice blog hi friends follow my blog visit www.funterbox.blogspot.com and follow me
Post a Comment